ICSZ 2020

Session Details

ICSZ-S0: Opening
ICSZ-S1: Molecular approaches and new methodologies
ICSZ-S2: Soil biodiversity in a changing world
ICSZ-S3: Ecology and ecosystem functioning
ICSZ-S4: Soil food webs

ICSZ-S0: Opening

💬 Keynote: Alberto Orgiazzi (Joint Research Centre, European Commission, Ispra, ITA)

“Alberto Orgiazzi is a soil biotechnologist working at the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) based in Ispra (Italy). He joined the JRC in 2013 as a postdoctoral researcher responsible for the creation of the first-ever Global Soil Biodiversity Atlas, released in 2016, and the development of risk maps for soil organisms in Europe. Currently, as JRC scientific project officer, he coordinates the largest (1,000 sampling locations) soil biodiversity assessment in Europe based on molecular data (metabarcoding and metagenomics).”

💬 Keynote 1: Stefan Geisen (Netherlands Institute of Ecology, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Wageningen, NED)

“I always was interested in soil biodiversity with a particular passion protists and nematodes. In internships at Lund University and Teagasc research station I worked on soil nematodes before I performed my PhD in the Bonkowski lab at the University of Cologne from 2011 to 2014 I. Both taxonomy but mostly ecology of soil protists was the focus in which I described several new species but even families of soil protists. I also identified soil protist communities and expanded the classical view of protists being pure bacterivores to show their importance as parasites, fungal feeders and predators. My postdoc time focused on plant-soil interactions at the Netherlands Institute of Ecology with Wim van der Putten. I expanded my portfolio to study endophytic fungi and entire rhizosphere microbiomes, while continuing to work on protists and again on nematodes. In 2019 I started as an assistant prof in molecular ecology at Wageningen University to continue soil protist and nematode studies.”

💬 Keynote 2: Michael Traugott (Department of Ecology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, AUT)

“(Biography will follow soon)”

💬 Keynote 1: Helen Phillips (Experimental Interaction Ecology, German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research (iDiv), Halle-Jena-Leipzig, GER)

“Increasingly large-scale synthesis studies are being used to determine how biodiversity is responding to human impacts, such as land use change or climate change. However, most of these synthesis studies focus on, or are bias towards, above-ground biodiversity, thus little is known about how below-ground biodiversity is responding to the same pressures. My experience has focused towards compiling large datasets and investigating patterns at a global scale. Currently I am interested in soil fauna, in order to address this gap in our scientific knowledge. Earthworms are ideal to focus on as they are a relatively well-studied and have direct links to ecosystem services based on their functional role. I aim to show how earthworm diversity is responding to human impacts, determine what changes might occur under future climate and land use change scenarios, and what these changes mean for the ecosystem functions that are provided by earthworms that humans rely on.”

💬 Keynote 2: Saori Fuiji (Department of Forest Entomology, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Tsukuba, JPN)

“I am a senior researcher at a Japanese national institute, Forestry and Forest Product Research Institute. I’m working on assessments of soil biodiversity and ecosystem functioning in forests, but my special interest is on collembolan ecology. I want to know anything related to Collembola: e.g., how they can coexist with high stability, what ecological functions they have, and why they are so cute!”

💬 Keynote 1: Jérôme Mathieu (Institute of Ecology and Environmental Science, Pierre and Marie Curie University, Paris, FRA)

“(Biography will follow soon)”

💬 Keynote 2: Ingrid Lubbers (Department of Environmental Sciences, Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen, NED)

“(Biography will follow soon)”

ICSZ-S4: Soil food webs

💬 Keynote: Anton Potapov (J.F. Blumenbach Institute of Zoology and Anthropology, University of Goettingen, Goettingen, GER)

“Anton Potapov is a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Goettingen with broad interest in the soil food web structure and functioning. He is challenging himself to describe soil community, from microorganisms to large arthropods, as a single interaction network. He applies various molecular tools to understand energy fluxes,
size structure and phylogenetic signals in trophic interactions in soil, working in both tropical (Sumatra) and temperate (Russia, Germany) ecosystems. Anton graduated from Moscow State University and finished his PhD at the Institute of Ecology and Evolution RAS, focusing on the trophic ecology of Collembola (springtails) and applying stable isotope analysis as the main method. At present, he coordinates several  initiatives including http://ecotaxonomy.org web platform and #GlobalCollembola. He believes that the global synthesis of soil biodiversity is more possible than we think, providing a joint effort of many researchers around the world.”

(NOTE: Order and titles of the sessions may change.)

Timetable

(NOTE: This is a preliminary timetable (version Oct 2019)! Session length and positions may still change.)

Menu